Knowledgebase: Server Outage/Down?
What should I do if denied access to my web site when using a browser?
Posted by Russell Rademacher on 22 November 2009 09:58 AM
1) Try to reach the site using the IP address, instead of domain mame. If you are successful using the IP address, it means that the domain name is either not active or not yet propagated. For a new domain, it may take up to a week for the name to be released by InterNIC and propagated to DNSs (Domain Name Servers) throughout the Internet. (Foreign domains and transfers take longer.)|
If it is an older domain that has previously been reachable, the name may be on hold with InterNIC. Contact InterNIC directly to determine the reason the name is on hold.
2) If you can reach the site with the IP address and you know it has been more than 72 hours since the name was released by InterNIC:
Clear your browser cache and try again. To do this:
- If you are using Netscape Navigator, first select Options | Network Preferences, then choose the Cache tab. Click on the buttons "Clear Memory Cache Now" and "Clear Disk Cache Now" and OK, then click Reload.
Note: Netscape may require manually clearing the cache. With Windows Explorer find the Netscape folder (e.g. C:\Program Files\Netscape\Navigator\Cache — then highlight and delete the files in the Cache folder — then click on Reload)
- If you are using Internet Explorer Select View | Options, then the Navigation tab and click "Clear History" and OK, then click Refresh.
If you know that others are able to reach the site with the domain name but you can't (even after clearing the Cache), contact your local ISP. They may not have updated their DNS records. If you are still unable to reach it after all of these steps, e-mail us for assistance. Be sure to describe all the steps you have already taken.
3) If you are unable to reach the site with either the domain name OR the IP address you may be experiencing connectivity problems. If you are unable to reach this URL, either wait until connectivity is restored and try again, or contact your local ISP for information on possible network problems
4) Finally please check our forums before submitting a trouble ticket and check the Network Status, to make sure that all the servers are up and running or if the server your site is being hosted on is experiencing technical problems.